You are here
Home > Home Improvement > Causes of Radon in Your House

Causes of Radon in Your House

Radon is a radioactive gas that occurs naturally in your home and workplace. It is proven as one of the leading causes of lung cancer.

You can prevent radon by doing radon testing in Vernon, New Jersey in which a team of testers checks for possible radon detection in your house.

What is radon?

It is a gas that is radioactive and is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It occurs due to the decay of uranium, which is generally found in rocks and soils. 

If radon is present in our house, it combines with the air, producing decay and building radioactive particles. As you breathe, these particles are inserted into the cell lining, where they damage DNA and can cause lung cancer.

What are the causes of radon?

  • The soil beneath your home – The most common cause of radon is the soil below your floor. As you know, the decay of radioactive elements causes radon. This can be present in the rocks and stones present in the ground. And it quickly finds its way out through any cracks. If you have an underground base, it can be more worrying. Radon gas can enter the air even if there is a slight gap in your wall or floor.
  • Cracks and gaps – Cement has a porous nature. They crack or break very easily. Additionally, this can give radon easy access in your home. To prevent this, you must regularly check and seal any visible cracks or gaps seen in the wall.
  • Natural rocks – Elements like radium and uranium are naturally occurring radioactive elements. These are present in natural stones present in your house. One of which is granite that is commonly used for kitchen countertops. Radon gas in natural stones can cause dangerous emissions and later less to health issues. 
  • Source of well water – Well-water comes in close contact with the soil. If you have a healthy water source in your aquifer, then there are chances it can contain radon. Radon gas is released in your house while washing dishes, taking a shower, or brushing your teeth. 

Detection of radon:

As radon gas cannot be seen or smelled, it becomes difficult to determine whether you have been exposed to radon. The following tips can help you:

  • Hire a professional tester if you see any cracks or gaps in any part of your house.
  • Buy a DIY kit. Follow the instructions and then mail them to the lab. 
  • Have a vent pipe and fan installed, pulling radon away and venting it out of your house.
  • If you have a well near your home, you must get the water tested.

The effects of radon are hazardous. However, getting your house tested as soon as you see any signs can keep you and your family’s health safe.